I’m sending out this message for anyone who is interested in preventing Alzheimer’s or other dementias. There is a series available that talks about the epidemic of Alzheimer’s and what we can do to prevent and even reverse it.
It is free to watch (currently they are on day 3 of 12) and you can also purchase the series (computer only) for $97 or get DVDs and computer access for $197. (By the way, I have no financial interest in this company.)
Here are some highlights from today’s episode: The Alzheimer’s Prevention Toolkit.
- We can change the expression of our genes through “epigenetics”. Our fate is not determined solely by our genes. We can control our health through lifestyle changes.
- We can grow new brain cells throughout our lifetime: “neurogenesis”.
- Prevent diabetes by maintaining healthy weight and low blood sugar levels through diet. Insulin is key to brain functioning. If you have diabetes you are twice as likely to develop Alzheimer’s. This is why alzheimer’s has been called diabetes type 3.
- Choose a diet that preserves, nourishes and optimizes our brains: a diet low in sugar and refined carbs, high in fiber and healthy fats (avocado, salmon, nuts). strong plant base – cruciferous veggies, etc. Avoid processed foods.
- Nurture our gut microbiomes: microbes protect the gut barrier function. toxins start are first presented to the gut and can eventually travel to the brain by following the path of the nervous system. inflammation allows permeability of not only the gut barrier but also the blood-brain barrier. certain species of bacteria are essential to maintaining a healthy gut barrier.
- Reduce stress and thus decrease inflammation in the brain: stress negatively affects blood sugar and hormones. chronically high cortisol leads to smaller memory centers in the brain.
- Exercise: stress reduction, improved insulin sensitivity, increased brain cell formation, increased neuroplasticity, increased blood flow to the brain. helps with better night’s sleep.
- Get a good night’s sleep: restores function by flushing out toxins. affects every organ system and every disease state.
- Toxins: learn where they are and how to avoid them. many toxins are first presented to the microbiome. glyphosate (round-up) kills off certain microbiomes which allows for the overgrowth of other potentially harmful bacteria to take over. cumulative affect of toxins that is the real problem.
- Supplements: provide extra support for brain functioning such as Omega 3 EPA-DHA